2016 Edition | Eoin Woods
Timeless Skills for the Modern Software Architect || Eoin Woods, Endava
Technologies come and go but successful systems last forever. Or perhaps not forever, but for a lot longer than this year’s “hot” technology. Similarly with the role of the software architect, while up-to-date technology knowledge is certainly important, the fundamental skills of the architect need to transcend particular platforms and technology stacks and be adaptable and valuable enough to be applied to an ever changing technology landscape.
This one-day software architecture course introduces a range of complimentary architectural approaches and techniques that the practicing software architect can draw from and combine in their daily work, to ensure that systems are created with a strong and lasting underlying architecture.
The course content will cover a range of topics, relevant to the modern software architect:
• Defining and describing software architecture using a viewpoint-based approach that focuses on meeting the needs of the different stakeholder groups.
• Using Architecture Principles to unify design thinking across different levels of abstraction.
• Different approaches to architectural description from informal sketches, to formal graphical models, and the various options between these extremes.
• The fundamentals of getting systems from development to production, which underpin approaches such as DevOps.
• Assessing software architectures using methods like ATAM, TARA and informal approaches.
• Dealing with legacy systems and supporting the teams responsible for them.
The content of the course draws on the best of the last 20 years of academic research in software architecture, but is fundamentally rooted in proven industrial practice based on the author’s 25 years of experience across product engineering and the financial industry. The goal of the day is to provide attendees with an introduction to a range of practical techniques that they can take back and starting using immediately on their projects.
About Eoin Woods
Eoin Woods is CTO at Endava, the European software engineering services company, where he leads the technical strategy for the firm. Eoin is a widely published author in both the research and industrial communities, and is co-author of the well-known book “Software Systems Architecture”, published by Addison-Wesley. He is a regular conference speaker and an active member of the London software engineering community. His main technical interests are software architecture, distributed systems and computer security.